Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Kentucky Bound (again)

I'm excited to get back up into Kentucky country - though I'll mostly be shooting video, I'm bringing Joline because there's gonna be a layover and there will be down time in which to practice.

Lately, I've been working on some familiar tunes to dulcimer folks - "Sandy River Belle", "Booth Shot Lincoln", "Old Yellow Dog", "Barlow Knife" and also preparing for whatever tunes I'll record when I get back from Kentucky. Looks like two four-hour sessions on the 3rd and 4th of August in the evening, so that gives me plenty of time to record some demos here at the studio and then give them to Charles so he can choose the right harps. I also have an old Michael Rugg Celtic dulcimer album (a cassette actually, ooooh..) that I've been learning some tunes from by ear - two of which, "Flowers Of Edinburgh" and "Faerie's Hornpipe" are coming along pretty quickly. But over ten years of listening to an album will certainly do that to you.

And I'd just like to say that my wife rocks - she really and truly does. She stands behind the music way more than 100% and is the unseen motivator for both Mohave and my solo work. Of course, there's more solo work going on at the moment and that's by choice. This interlude of woodshedding has been highly productive and extremely enlightening.

Finally, here's some video from Kentucky Music Week. Nothin fancy, the camera's on a tripod in the back and I'm performing "Nowhere" and "Gold Trails Hotel" in the key of D. This was one of the best audiences I've ever had the pleasure of boogieing for! (Is "boogieing" an actual word? Looks a trifle odd.)



Bing At Kentucky Music Week 2006

Sorry for the big byteage of the video - having some issues with my lil' ol' G4 933 mhz single-processor and it's starting to groan. By the time you read this, it should be somewhat ready. Go make a sandwich.

No comments: