Thursday, June 09, 2011

RV Project Tour: DULCIMERVILLE!

It has been a busy week here in Black Mountain, North Carolina at the 2nd Annual Dulcimerville. After check-in on Monday, there was a get acquainted meet-n-greet and concert which kicked off the first workshops. Tuesday morning, we began classes in earnest.

I've got the Advanced Beginners for the two morning sessions, a total of 13.5 hours for the week. In the afternoon, it was Mountain Dulcimer Blues; I've got about 15 students in each of these groups. The Blueridge Assembly is an incredible location nestled in valley of mountains here - lots of hills and creeks, lush forest and gorgeous scenery.

I'll post pictures eventually - been taking stills with my video camera and can't seem to remember how to extract them. Definitely missing my iPhone, but it looks like I'll inherit a used one next week, so I'll be back on track with updates.

Last night, I performed in concert on a bill that featured Don Pedi, Stephen Seifert, Randy Adams, Terry Duggins, Ehukai Teves, Nina Zanetti and Joseph Shelton. Quite a distinguished group and it was an honor to share the stage with them at the Washburn Auditorium. My selections were Richard and Mimi Farinas "House Un-American Blues Activity Dream" (first time performed at a dulcimer festival for me), "If We Hold On Together" from "The Land Before Time" and, natch, "Juke Joint Hen." I also played a little Native American flute at the start of the set. (The flute wasn't little, it was - oh, nevermind.)

The sounds of breakfast have erupted downstairs in the dining room downstairs, so I'm going to go mix in and prepare for morning workshops. Hope you're having a fantastic day!

No comments: