Wednesday, April 21, 2010

New Gear and Stuff




It's been over a week since I checked in but there's a good reason for that. First off, "The Pub Thang" went over well at McWell's - thanks to all who came out to support the night. My last post mentioned heading over to Guitar Center and there's a photo above of what was acquired.

The DigiTech Vocalist Live 4 is a dandy piece of equipment that allows me to layer harmonies into live performances and recording. From one voice to four-part harmony, it's programmable and has instrument effects as well. Jae hates it. I think it rocks the bells.

My friend Kaleo uses one. He said, "they're awesome - but brudda, you gotta be on-key." Since all of the harmony is modeled from your original vocal, it's only as good as you can make it (which is only half true since there is pitch-correction built into the unit - I have it switched to "off".) Harmonies are more effective on sustained notes and I have a habit of clipping my phrases, so right off the bat, the machine was in my face as I practiced tunes that have always wanted some extra voices during the solo show. Took awhile to get the hang of it, but I gotta say it's pretty freakin' sweet and I didn't overuse it at Wednesday's show. Honest.

No comments: