Monday, May 02, 2005

Whole Lotta Work

Hello blog-readers - be sure to check out Bunky's blog as she's the second most prolific blogger in the band (two guesses as to who's first.)

This weekend's show brought me to the point where it's clear just how much work being in a band really is. After helping J.D. and Erica move during the day on Saturday, I got in about an hour's worth of sleep before heading out to do the gig at Calico Jack's. After a minor snafu with the p.a., we tore into two solid sets of music. It was decided earlier in the day that we'd begin our journey into a new blend of styles on this evening, so I brought along my Roland Fantom keyboard and intended to use it for a couple of jams. Now, though dulcimer is an instrument with which I'm comfortable on-stage, the synthesizer is truly an axe that allows me to express myself easier, since it has all the notes necessary to form any emotion. Its sequencer is also pretty powerful and it became the root rhythm for one extended jam that led into "The Angle" with me calling out the chord changes. We couldn't get the sound through the p.a., but it still came out pretty loud. I also did a little piano jamming on "Caught."

It was a bit of a rough night for everyone, I gleaned from conversations afterwards. So-called "real life" was hard to banish on this night, apart from being physically tired, mentally we were pretty worn out, but we managed to steamroll ahead with a typically lively show and got a lot of really nice comments from folks in between sets and after the final song.

I circulated a proposed cover for clear blue trickling, which was met with some enthusiasm, though I wish I could've gotten a clearer picture. We're in the final stretch for working out the production, so this week will see our guest stars coming in to lay down tracks and I'm putting together some soundscapes here at Dark Studios that David will be able to incorporate into the final project. Wednesday is our "Sushi and Sake Session", where a good portion of everything will fall into place. I've always said that recording an album is a make or break deal - either the band emerges more fully formed and stronger, or the line-up changes or the band breaks up. Though it's a joy, the recording of an album is a stressful proposition, not only because of the physical strain, but the mental strain of looking at yourself (or listening at yourself) in the clearest mirror possible and confronting the essential truth about who you are and how you're perceived, not only by others, but by YOU. If you hate your voice, chances are that this will not only not change, but you may hate it even more when all is said and done. Or you can simply let go and love your voice, which in the purest form of love, acceptance, allows you to get on with expressing and caring not what others are thinking aesthetically.

It's tough. But I'm dealing with it.

No comments: